Stay Warm and Safe as the Cold Weather Arrives
Cooler weather is approaching and many people will pull out their space heaters or light the fireplace. Below are several safety tips to keep in mind as you turn up the heat this fall and winter. Distribute these tips in your community to help residents stay warm and safe during the winter months.
- Make sure your chimney is inspected and cleaned once a year.
- Dispose of ashes only when they have fully cooled.
- Don’t use an oven to heat your home.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors outside each sleeping area.
- When using space heaters, make sure that there is nothing within 3 feet of it that could burn.
- Always make sure that portable heaters are turned off before going to bed or leaving the house.
Click here for more heating safety tips, as well as additional fire prevention information you can distribute in your community.